Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nesting, part 3

I actually painted Skyler's room back in February. As soon as we found out that we were having a girl, we decided she needed to share a room with Eliza. That meant that Skyler and Eliza needed to switch rooms because his room was a bit bigger.

So....goodbye pinky, feminine girl room, and hello cute gray/green boys room! Darn it, I forgot to take a before shot of the pink girls room and couldn't find any old ones even. Just envision that this room used to be very.....pink.

Oh, and to give credit where it's due, I was TOTALLY inspired by this blog when putting this room together. To the point of copying her paint colors and many of her decorations.


We decided to skip the toddler bed phase. I just can't stand our old metal toddler bed! I started looking for a twin sized bed for him when my sister-in-law offered us this bed that actually used to be Nate's about a million years ago (or maybe just 30). I got the "transportation" bedding at Target. It's just perfect for the stage he's in. The curtains I made myself. Here's a close-up of the fabric:



Cute, huh?



How about a close-up of some of the decorations?



Yes, I copied the sign. With the help of my friend Julie who has helped me with all my other vinyl stuff. Thanks, Julie!



This embroidery is something I made while pregnant with Skyler, but always a good reminder so it stays. And the shelf with the balls came from his nursery, too. The shelf, the dog, the football and the basketball were all yard sale finds three years ago when I was expecting Skyler.




This poster was a gift from my brother's family on Skyler's first birthday.



Here's another carryover from Skyler's nursery. I love to hang all the boy birth announcements in his room. (The girl birth announcements are hung on a board in Eliza's room). And, that's also the tags from his hospital bassinet that you can see there!



The lamp and the canvas art are from Target. Yes, I copied them from that other blog.


Here's one thing we still have left to finish in his room. I want to build a "parking garage" for all of his big trucks, boats, planes and school bus. Something akin to a shoe rack but large enough to park vehicles on. I have the lumber in the garage so I'm sure we'll be getting to it before long. (Thanks, dear!)



Something else I would love to put in this room (not that there's really a spot left) is the 12 points of the scout law (you know, "A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly....") done in subway art style. Something like this:



or this:



Wouldn't that be cute? I love to have things hanging in his room to remind him who he is. :) So if any of you know how to make subway art, and your a tad bored some evening, let me know.


Edit (3/28/2011): I just discovered http://www.wordle.net/ where you can create this type of thing. Check out the one I made on the sidebar!


Stay tuned! It won't be long before I show you what we did this weekend. And it involved cutting our old kitchen table in half! (We really did)!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! From now on I say you include the colors of whatever it is you painted, because most likely someone will want to know :) I painted our room grey too and I am about to paint some grey stripes in our playroom. All the clothes I buy lately I always want in grey, guess I'm just drawn to grey lately! What color grey did you use? Just curious if it is the same color as any of the ones I am using, I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wall color is Glidden Smooth Stone (from Home Depot). It's not a grey-grey. Kind of a tan-gray. I love how it looks. I never liked the pink very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie,
    I can't believe you have the energy and time to do all this. It looks so cute. I bet you'll feel so great when you're projects are completed. It looks like you're getting pretty close.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete